As the great Nina Simone said, “Jazz is not just music, it is a way of life, it is a way of being, a way of thinking”. The story of Jazz is written into the quest for human dignity, democracy and civil rights. It has given strength to the struggle against discrimination and racism. UNESCO believes in the power of Jazz as a force for peace, dialogue and mutual understanding and this is why in November 2011, the UNESCO General Conference proclaimed 30 April as “International Jazz Day”.
This Day is intended to raise awareness of the virtues of jazz as an educational tool, and a force for empathy, dialogue and enhanced cooperation among people. Many governments, civil society organizations, educational institutions, and private citizens currently engaged in the promotion of jazz music will embrace the opportunity to foster greater appreciation not only for the music but also for the contribution it can make to building more inclusive societies.
- Jazz breaks down barriers and creates opportunities for mutual understanding and tolerance;
- Jazz is a vector of freedom of expression;
- Jazz reduces tensions between individuals, groups, and communities;
- Jazz encourages artistic innovation, improvisation, new forms of expression, and inclusion of traditional music forms into new ones;
- Jazz stimulates intercultural dialogue and empowers young people from marginalized societies.
International Jazz Day Thursday 30 April 2020 live stream schedule
Schedule of Free Masterclasses, Children’s Activities and Panel Discussions:
|Chinese||Masterclass||A Bu(link is external)||10:00|
|Arabic||Masterclass||Tarek Yamani(link is external)||13:00|
|Spanish||Masterclass||Danilo Pérez(link is external)||15:00|
|Russian||Masterclass||Igor Butman(link is external)||15:30|
|French||Children’s activity||Dee Dee Bridgewater(link is external)||16:00|
|English||Children’s activity||Oran Etkin(link is external)||16:30|
|English||Panel||Nate Chinen, Sibongile Khumalo, Marcus Miller(link is external)||17:30|
|English||Masterclass||Lwanda Gogwana(link is external)||18:00|
|Global Concert featuring Herbie Hancock and artists from across the globe(link is external)||19:00|